This was my first time cooking with quinoa and I was a little nervous, but I found it to be quite easy and my husband (who had never even tasted quinoa before) went back for seconds! The creamy sauce is what makes it (and next time I might add a little more bacon)!
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk, divided
- Poultry seasoning (I used McCormick’s Montreal Chicken seasoning)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups water, divided
- 3 cups fresh broccoli
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed (I used tricolor)
- 1/4 cup cooked, crumbled bacon
- 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Cheese for topping (any kind you like would be fine)
- 1 1/2 cups water, divided
- First, preheat your oven to 400 degrees and spray a 9×13 baking dish (generously, because it sticks pretty bad).
- In a saucepan, bring the chicken broth and 1/2 cup milk to a low boil.
- In a bowl, whisk the other 1/2 cup milk with 1 teaspoon of the poultry seasoning and the 1/2 cup flour. Add this mixture to the boiling liquid in your saucepan and stir slowly until a creamy sauce forms.
- In a large bowl, mix the creamy sauce, one cup water, quinoa, and crumbled bacon. Then, pour this mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Slice the uncooked chicken into thin strips and lay on top of the quinoa mixture. Sprinkle with poultry seasoning and bake uncovered for 30-45 minutes (you will know when it’s done when the chicken is fully cooked and the quinoa is soft and looks like it has popped open).
- While the casserole is baking, place the chopped, fresh broccoli into boiling water for one minute (until it turns bright green). Put the broccoli in a colander and run under cold water, then set aside.
- Remove the casserole from the oven, and after checking to make sure both quinoa and chicken are fully cooked, add your broccoli and 1/2 cup water to the dish and top with cheese. Bake for an additional 5 minutes.