It’s May 1st! Which means it’s finally BABY MONTH! First of all, I feel like this pregnancy has literally lasted forever, so I can’t believe it’s finally May. This is the month that we will meet our little girl, and we are so, so ready. I’m genuinely surprised that I made it this far (already a few days into week 38) since I delivered Landon at 37 weeks. I have experienced every emotion – from being scared to death to so excited I could hardly stand it, to some very real anxiety and now, I’m just thankful for a healthy pregnancy and the little miracle inside me.
Last weekend my mother and father in law came down and spent the day with us and helped us finish up a long to-do-before-the-baby-comes checklist, which I’m so thankful for. Now that all the big things are done, I feel like such a weight has been lifted from my shoulders and I can rest, knowing things are ready for our little one, whenever she decides to come.
This last week, I tried lots of “at home solutions” to speed up the seemingly endless wait – none of which worked, but all of which are absolutely hilarious, so I thought I’d share my list of failed attempts with ya’ll.
- I ate an entire pineapple in one hour. Pineapple contains something called bromelain in it, which is supposed to help soften the cervix. Evidently, my pineapple didn’t have quite enough in it (after more research, I’ve found you’d have to eat like 10 pineapples, and ain’t nobody got time for that) and all it did was make my mouth hurt. I might never eat pineapple again.
- I ate the famous “inducer” pizza from Hawthorne’s Pizza in Charlotte. You can read all about the success stories here. The pizza was okay… not really anything to write home about in my opinion, but the saddest part of all is that it just didn’t work on our stubborn little lady.
- I took a clary sage oil bath. This oil is nicknamed “baby rocket fuel” and after soaking in a warm bath with several drops of the oil, letting your body air dry, and applying more oil to your wrists, the bottom of your feet, and your belly, you’re supposed to go to sleep and let the essential oils do their magic. No magic happened over here. Still pregnant.
- I listened to rock n roll. This one seems little far fetched to me (as if the rest of the things on this list aren’t far fetched enough) but someone recommended it, so we blasted some Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd real loud… and all I got was a headache.
- I went to the airport overlook and watched the planes come in and take off. People say that the turbulence can help induce labor. Nope, it didn’t. But it was a pretty day and it’s one of Landon’s favorite things to do, so we got milkshakes and made the most of our efforts.
Obviously, our sweet baby girl will come when she’s ready and I know that just as the Lord already knows the number of hairs on her head, He knows her birthday and exactly how and when everything will take place. He goes before me, He will sustain me and give me strength, and His plan, purpose, and timing are perfect.
So, until then, I’ll be enjoying every minute with my sweet (almost) two year old, sleeping as much as I can, and (because I learned my lesson last time) my bag is packed and ready to go!