Every year, I make the same cake for my Momma’s birthday. If you’ve never tasted a Pig Pickin’ Cake, your tastebuds are missing out! It’s the perfect cake for springtime… the mandarin oranges and pineapple are just so delicious!
- 1 box of yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 (11oz) can mandarin oranges, drained (reserve 1/3 cup of the liquid)
- 4 eggs
- 1 (20oz) can crushed pineapple, not drained
- 1 box (4 serving size) vanilla instant pudding
- 1 (8oz) container cool whip, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease two 9 inch round cake pans, then dust with flour.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, oil, eggs, mandarin oranges, and the reserved 1/3 cup of orange liquid.
- Beat with electric mixture on low speed for 30 seconds, then on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Wait 10 minutes, then flip cakes out onto a rack to cool completely, about 1 hour.
- To make icing, combine crushed pineapple and dry pudding mix and stir until well blended. Then, gently stir in whipped topping. Do not ice cake until it is completely cooled.
Optional: Save a few pieces of mandarin oranges from the can to use as a garnish!
Also… how beautiful is my Momma? That’s her in the middle in polka dots holding Landie Bug. She’s so loved by so many. Just had to share this picture from her birthday lunch!