This is by far the easiest and most flavorful potato soup I have ever made and I’m so excited to share the recipe with ya’ll today. It’s thick and hearty and just perfect for chilly days! And best of all, this recipe makes enough to share!
- 5 pounds of potatoes (I used golden potatoes but think red potatoes would also be a great option)
- 1 large yellow onion
- 6-7 cloves of minced garlic
- 8 cups of chicken broth (or two large boxes)
- 16oz cream cheese (softened)
- 1 tablespoon of seasoned salt
- For garnishing: crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, chives
- If using golden or red potatoes, there’s no need to peel them for this recipe. A little skin on the potatoes just adds flavor. So just start by washing the potatoes and dicing them into cubes.
- Add potatoes, diced onion, minced garlic, seasoning salt, and chicken broth to crock pot.
- Cook on low for 9-10 hours or high for 6 hours.
- Add softened cream cheese to crock pot and use immersion blender to incorporate (or, if you don’t have an immersion blender, you could remove half the soup and cream cheese to an upright blender and then re-incorporate). This step ensures that the cream cheese is well incorporated and adds a creaminess to the soup while still leaving some “chunks” of potato.
- Top with your choice of garnishes and enjoy!
This recipe was adapted from Mama Loves Food blog.