Okay, guys. This is not the most authentic egg roll recipe you’ll ever find. As a matter of fact, I’m not 100% certain they can even be classified as “egg rolls.” The only egg-rolly thing about them is that they’re made with egg roll wrappers…. BUT they’re delicious. So, there ya go. You’re welcome.
A friend of mine gave me the idea to make these a few months ago and I’ve been dying to try them, and after making them tonight, my only regret is that I didn’t make them sooner. All you need is a few easy, inexpensive ingredients and you’re set. This is seriously one of the easiest, cheapest meals you could possibly make and it’s so versatile… you could stuff these bad boys with anything and they’d be delicious (I think it would be so fun to try them with steak or even leftover BBQ).
- Boneless, skinless chicken tenderloins (I used 4)
- Minced garlic (I used one clove)
- Minced onion (I used about 1/4 cup)
- 1 bag of steamable vegetables (I chose a bag with corn, green beans, and carrots)
- Egg roll wraps
- Salt, pepper, chicken seasoning of your choice
- Soy sauce for dipping
- Butter, oil (for frying)
- First, grill your chicken in a pan and season it well, adding garlic and onions for flavor.
- Cut chicken into small chunks and put back into pan.
- Steam vegetables in microwave according to package instructions.
- Add cooked vegetables to chicken in pan, salt and pepper, add a few chunks of butter, drizzle with soy sauce, and turn down to simmer.
- Lay out your egg roll wraps, one at a time, and have a small dish of water nearby to wet your fingers (this will be used to seal the wrap).
- Spoon the chicken and vegetable mixture onto the wrap evenly distributing chicken with vegetables as shown below.
- First, fold the bottom corner up to the middle, then fold in each of the sides (so that it looks like an envelope, as shown in the photo below). Seal the “egg roll” by wrapping the top point around and gently wetting with your fingers. You have to be very gentle, as to not bust through the thin egg roll wrapper.
- Continue rolling until you’ve used all of your chicken and vegetable mixture (mine made 9 wraps, but I think I could have easily stretched it to make 10).
- Next, drop your “egg rolls” into a deep fryer until they turn a crisp, golden brown. Let drain on a paper towel.
YUM! Just look at that crispy goodness!
- Serve immediately with rice and soy sauce for dipping.
One thought on “All American “Egg rolls””