I’m typically not a huge fan of sweet pickles, but I tried these homemade pickles last week at church and was so crazy over them, I just had to come home and make them myself! This recipe is in our church cookbook (from about 10 years ago) by a lady I love very much and who is one of the best cooks I know.
- 3 long english cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon of celery seed or mustard seed (optional)
- Place thinly sliced cucumbers and onions in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt and use hands to toss and ensure they’re thoroughly coated.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Take out of the refrigerator and drain.
- In a pot on the stovetop, stir together sugar, apple cider vinegar, and water until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Pour vinegar solution over cucumbers and onions, cover, and refrigerate.
- Enjoy the next day! Yum!
I did not use the celery or mustard seed this time because I didn’t have any but I definitely will next time (and I’ll make these again, for sure!) because I think that would add just the right flavor. Consider this your warning – if you get a cute little jar of pickles from me for Christmas, don’t be surprised! Yummm ya’ll! Just YUM!