I was so pleasantly surprised by this recipe. These bad boys are GOOD (and knowing they’re a healthy alternative to tacos makes them even yummier!).
- 3 large zucchinis, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup mild salsa
- 1 lb. of lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp chopped bell peppers
- 4 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- First, preheat the oven to 400 degrees and cover the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish with the 1/2 cup salsa.
- After cutting the zucchini in half lengthwise, use a spoon or melon baller (if you’re super fancy) to hollow them out, leaving about 1/4 inch so they keep their shape.
- Chop some of the zucchini filling and squeeze excess water with a paper towel. You should have 3/4 cup, which you’ll add to the cooked turkey meat. You can just discard the rest of the zucchini filling, or save it to use for another recipe!
- Drop the zucchini halves into salted boiling water for one minute, then place in the baking dish on top of the salsa.
- In a large skillet, brown the turkey, breaking it up as it cooks. When it is no longer pink, add your onions, peppers, water, tomato paste, 3/4 cup zucchini filling, and spices. Let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Using a spoon, fill the hollowed zucchini boats and top with cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
- Serve immediately. I recommend topping with sour cream and chopped scallions or cilantro.